Taking Control of Your Health: Managing High Cholesterol in Singapore
Living in Singapore, known for its bustling energy and vibrant culinary scene, it’s easy to let health concerns slip down the priority list. However, one silent yet significant factor can be lurking beneath the surface – high cholesterol. This waxy substance, while essential for our body’s functions, can turn into a silent threat when its levels climb too high.
Why Should You Care about Cholesterol?
Cholesterol itself, at health levels, isn’t bad. It plays an important role in building cell membranes, hormones and even vitamin D. However, the trouble arises when the “bad” type of cholesterol, like LDL (low-density lipoprotein), accumulates in your body. These substances will be deposited in your vessels, affecting the blood flow. This, in turn, increases the risk of developing cardiovascular diseases like heart attack, stroke and peripheral artery disease.
Testing Your Cholesterol
Knowing your cholesterol levels is the first step to taking control. Regular cholesterol screenings with your healthcare provider, in adherence to the national screening guidelines, aids in early detection and intervention. Your doctor can interpret your results and advise on the best course of action.
Conquering Cholesterol: A Roadmap to a Healthier You
The good news is, that managing high cholesterol can start with small steps. Here are some practical tips you can incorporate into your Singaporean lifestyle:
- Embrace a Heart-Healthy Diet:
- Say no or cut down on saturated and trans fats: Fatty meats, fried foods and processed snacks are loaded with these. Lean and healthier protein sources like fish and chicken breast can be chosen instead.
- Fill your plate with fibre: Fruits, vegetables, and whole grains are great alternatives.
- Move Your Body, Regularly with Healthier SG:
- Physical activity is important in achieving healthy cholesterol levels. Engage in physical activity that is suitable for your age group, fitness levels and medical issues. Speak to your healthcare provider to find out more about what is suitable for you.
- Maintain a Healthy Weight:
- Excess weight and obesity may result in high cholesterol levels. Losing weight can help one improve their cholesterol levels and overall health. To find personalised weight management strategies that work for you, consider speaking with your doctor or a registered dietitian who can provide professional guidance and support.
- Partner with Your Doctor:
- It’s important to have regular checkups so you can keep tabs on your cholesterol levels. That way, you can stay on top of your treatment plan and make any necessary adjustments. If you have any concerns or questions, don’t hesitate to talk to your doctor about them. They’re there to help you and will be delighted to answer any questions.
Remember, managing high cholesterol is a marathon, not a sprint. By making small, sustainable changes to your lifestyle and partnering with your healthcare team, you can take control of your cholesterol and pave the way for a healthier, happier you.
Commit to your heart health today! Schedule a cholesterol screening with your doctor, visit the MHC clinic for personalised guidance and support, and join the growing community of Singaporeans living heart-healthy lives. Together, we can raise awareness and conquer high cholesterol, one step at a time!
Let MHC be your Healthier SG navigator. Enjoy personalised health plans, expert advice, and a dedicated care team by your side, all within the convenient Healthier SG framework.